Re: IP translator

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Net BSD Support wrote:

> > > Does this imply that the package is already in -current release that
> > > is at NetBSD.Org?
> >
> >     Yes - I'm using it on i386 & sparc ports.
> >     (I'm also testing an ip-up script that will automatically
> >     setup NAT from any other attached networks over a dynamically
> >     assigned IP address)
>
> Great!  I've down-loaded and unpacked the -current release from NetBSD.org.
> I've got a couple of questions regarding the building of the -current
> release.  Pointers to an FAQ are acceptable.
>
> Can the -current release co-exist with the real 1.2 release?  If so, what
> directory structure is used to support this, so that I will be compatible
> with the rest of the world?

        The best approach is probably to download the most recent
        binary snapshot first to use as a base - there have been many
        changes since 1.2 and this will make it simpler to get to
        -current.
        You should then backup make and config, rebuild them from the
        latest source, customise a kernel config file, compile & boot
        it. 'ps' & friends will not function until you recompile the
        userland ('cd /usr/src ; make build'), but the system should work
        fine to complete the aforementioned compile.

> After I unpacked the tar files, I went to the 'arch/amiga/compile'
> directory and copied the GENERIC config file as 'blkhole' and hacked it up
> to match my old configuration file from the 1.2 release.  When I attempted
> to 'config blkhole' from that directory, it seems to be trying to include
> 'arch/amiga/config/std.amiga.'  I can see the file that it is trying to
> use, but I obviously have my directory structure set up in a way that
> isn't compatible.  Is there a FAQ that explains this?

        You probably need to ensure you have recompiled 'config'/