Re: g++ causes kernel panic (part 2)

At 27-Apr-97 Ignatios Souvatzis(ignatios%cs.uni-bonn.de@localhost) wrotes about
Re: g++
causes kernel panic (part 2)

>a) make sure it is the _compiler_ and not _the linker_ (can you
>compile with -c, producing .o files?)

I've just done that with the same result. hello.cpp AND hello.c are
causing a kernel panic when being compiled with g++ on my
A3000.

>c) it might be a problem with the shared libraries... (I know you only
>did un upgrade; try to make sure you have only the newest ones in
>/usr/lib (move the others away; don't delete them, you might need
>them).

There were some very old ones in /usr/lib. I backup'ed them to another
place and have done a ldconfig -m /usr/lib afterwards and it didn't
solve the problem.

>d) track the problem down to a minimal c++ program, which creates the
>error

Of course. My first thought after getting kernelpanic was that it has got
something to do with a new virtual function but i tracked it down to
hello.cpp (like hello.c but using cout instead of printf and iostream.h, of
course).

>As for a workaround; well, yes, if it works for you to use the olde
>bin11 contributed g++ binaries for your daily work... do so.

I would like to do so, but i'm afraid to overwrite parts of the still
installed
gcc2.7.2, so i'm trying to isolate the problem a bit closer before
"downgrading" to bin11-gcc.
Checking out part b) tomorrow.

> But it
>would be good to find out what the problem is.

Of course. It's very painful if a compiler doesn't work after upgrading your
OS :-(
Isn't it possible, that the kernel-panic is a result of missing files while
upgrading. Just can remember that there was a problem

Thank you very much!

--
              Juergen Schmitz
       E-Mail: Ju.Schmitz%fh-trier.de@localhost