Re: NetBSD1.1 newbie - PLEASE help!

In article <1855.6946T861T1983%ping.at@localhost>,
        Manfred Matzinger <matzing%ping.at@localhost> writes:
> 2) How can I turn on filename completion and ...

Download and install T C Shell ("tcsh-6.06.tar.gz").

> ... the command history for sh?

set -o emacs

> 3) What do I have to insert for ff in the printcap for my HP5MP? It always
>    prints lines like that:
>             line1
>                  line2
>    instead of
>             line1
>             line2.

Download and install Magic-Filter ("magicfilter-1.1b.tar.gz").

> 4) If I have a script, which I can start with e.g. "sh <scriptname>", how
>    can I turn it into an pseudo-executable, which can be started with
>    "<scriptname>" only?

1.) Make sure that the first line looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

2.) Enter "chmod +x scriptname".

> 5) What is "xdm" and ...

X Display Manager

> ... where can I find instructions for it?

man xdm

> 6) How can I access my floppy drives (df0:, df1: and df2: under AmigaDOS)
>    with NetBSD?

man mount_ados

> Is it possible to read floppies with Amiga, ...

Yes.

> HFS (Apple) and ...

No.

> ... PC format (how)?

Not with NetBSD 1.1 but 1.2 is able to.

> Why does NetBSD tell me that fd1 and fd2 is not configured at
> boot-time?

Because they are not configured in the GENERIC kernels before 1.2.

--
Matthias Scheler                                http://colwyn.owl.de/~tron/