Re: NetBSD1.1 newbie - PLEASE help!

Manfred Matzinger wrote:
> 1) Where can I find Xdaniver.readme, which is mentioned in the
> HTML-documentation of the Gateway CD?

 Somehow this readme has never been written or been uploaded.  Try
"Xdaniver --help" for options and parameters.

> 2) How can I turn on filename completion and the command history for sh?
> I can't find instructions with "man sh".

 /bin/sh has no such features.  Use "set -o emacs" to enable command line
editing and history functions though.

 Try out gateway/usr/local/bin/tcsh for the features you are looking for.

> 3) What do I have to insert for ff in the printcap for my HP5MP? It
> always prints lines like that: line1 line2 instead of line1 line2.

 No idea.

> 4) If I have a script, which I can start with e.g. "sh <scriptname>",
> how can I turn it into an pseudo-executable, which can be started with
> "<scriptname>" only?

 chmod +x scriptname

> 5) What is "xdm" and where can I find instructions for it? I carefully
> read the docs on the Gateway CD, but I found nothing!?

 Xdm was not fully supported during the creation of the Gateway!  Vol.  2.
Xdm is some sort of login-screen using X11.  Man pages for xdm should have
been included in the X11R6 distribution.  I cannot check right now.

> 6) How can I access my floppy drives (df0:, df1: and df2: under
> AmigaDOS) with NetBSD? Is it possible to read floppies with Amiga, HFS
> (Apple) and PC format (how)? Why does NetBSD tell me that fd1 and fd2 is
> not configured at boot-time?

 mount /dev/fd0a /mnt/floppy  (read-only, Amiga-formatted disks)

> 7) The supplied lha can generate lha archives, but unpacking seems
> buggy. I always get the error: "bad table (5); segmentation fault (core
> dumped)". Where can I get a working version of lha?

 Interesting, I mostly was unable to generate archives but was easily able
to extract.  Have you checked whether your archives are lha-2 compliant?

--
Markus Illenseer