PPPd, i did finally get it setup and working correctly...

        I sent a message earlier today and resolved the problems this
evening.  Please ignore the previous question and while I am at it, in case
anyone else wanted to know, my solution, i am posting it.  My particular
system is an A3000, 25Mhz, ECS, 2Meg Fast, 16 Meg Static Column ZIPs, 4
Megs on a RAM Expansion Board.  The system receives mail and news via UUCP
dialup to a host (uustar.starnet.net) via MFCIII port /dev/ttyA1, pppd on
MFCIII port /dev/ttyA0, with USERS dialing in on the multiport serial card
ports /dev/ttym1 and /dev/ttym2 (Yep i redesigned the /dev/MAKEDEV file to
create tty0[1-7] for dialout, ttym[1-7] for dialin).

================
/etc/syslog.conf:
================
*.err;kern.debug;daemon.info;local2,auth.notice;mail.crit       /dev/console
*.notice;kern.debug;lpr,auth.info;mail.crit
/var/log/messages
mail.info                                                       /var/log/maillog
lpr.info
/var/log/lpd-errs
cron.info                                                       /var/cron/log
daemon,local2.debug                                             /etc/ppp/ppp-log
*.err                                                           root
*.notice;auth.debug                                             root
*.alert                                                         root
*.emerg                                                         *

================
/etc/ppp/options:
================
debug
/dev/ttyA0
115200
lock
crtscts
connect 'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat-script'
noipdefault
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
defaultroute

====================
/etc/ppp/chat-script:  MYNAME and MYPASSWORD are dummy values
====================
ABORT           BUSY
ABORT           "NO CARRIER"
""              atz1
"OK"            atdt7312255
CONNECT         ""
login:          "ppp!MYMANE"
sword:          "\qMYPASSWORD"
from            "\q"
beginning       ""

NOTE: I manually logged into my ISP as i had down years ago with AmiTCP to
get the information on where to start and stop parsing for the local and
remote host information.  I used script to capture the information and cu
to access the modem.  I ended the modem usign the ~. key sequence.  Script
will create a file called 'typescript'.  You can visually inspect this
file to see what the last thing sent from your provider is before the IP
information is sent.  The final line in my chat-script ('beginning'     '')
probably isn't required but included because that is what I am using...
---------------------------------
        script
        cu -l /dev/ttyA0
        atdt7312255
        kill -9 (script pid)
---------------------------------
Script started on Tue Jan  7 20:36:43 1997
toor@sempco:/etc/ppp {1} % cu -l /dev/ttyA0

Connected.
atz1

OK
atdt7312255

CONNECT 38400

Welcome to MVP-Net, Inc. (mvp-net)

pm1-3 login: ppp!slayne
Password:
PPP session from (205.139.224.71) to 205.139.231.44 beginning....~ÿ}#À!}!}!}
}8}!}$}!(}"}&} } } } }%}&m¦¹ì}'}"}(}"z¦~~ÿ}#À!}!}"} }8}!}$}!(}"}&} } } }
}%}&m¦¹ì}'}"}(}"04~~[sempco].
Disconnected.

toor@sempco:/etc/ppp {2} % ps

  PID TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
  298 p0  Ss     0:02.42 -h -i (tcsh)
  305 p0  R+     0:00.28 ps
  136 e0  Is     0:09.55 -tcsh (tcsh)
  296 e0  S+     0:00.69 script
  297 e0  S+     0:00.41 script
toor@sempco:/etc/ppp {3} % kill -9 297

================
/etc/ppp/ppp-log:       This file must be created manually.
================

ex:     touch /etc/ppp/ppp-log

================
/etc/resolv.conf:       NAMESERVER and DOMAIN come from your ISP!!!
================
nameserver      199.250.196.1
domain          mo.net
options         debug

Best for last...  Simply type:

% pppd

from your command line prompt and away we go...  To shutdown pppd, i use
'ps -ax' to get the PID for pppd and send it a HUP via 'kill -1 (pppd
pid)'.  This required NO changes to my local IP setup with the exception of
adding the /etc/resolv.conf file and it's contents.  If someone has a
better way of doing this business, please let me know.  I hate hacking to
get a solution but i do realize that sometimes that works but it is not
always the best solution.

        I normally run a local network that will serve http pages locally
and allow me to run X windows.  The following is what I am using to make
that happen:

=============
/etc/netstart:
=============
routed_flags=-q
mrouted_flags=NO                        # for 'normal' use: mrouted_flags=""
rarpd_flags=NO                          # for 'normal' use: rarpd_flags="-a"
bootparamd_flags=NO                     # for 'normal' use: bootparamd_flags=""
rbootd_flags=NO                         # for 'normal' use: rbootd_flags=""
sendmail_flags="-bm -pUUCP:uustar -q5m" # for 'normal' use: sendmail_flags="-bd
-q30m"
named_flags=NO                          # for 'normal' use: named_flags=""
timed_flags=NO
#
# slayne's additions for sempco.uucp follow:
#
httpd_flags="-r /usr/local/infosystems/WWW/config/httpd.conf"

# set the following to "YES" to turn them on
rwhod=YES
nfs_server=NO
nfs_client=NO
gated=NO
kerberos_server=NO
amd=YES
#
# slayne's additions for sempco.uucp follow:
#
yp_services=NO

# miscellaneous other flags
# only used if the appropriate server is marked YES above
gated_flags=
amd_dir=/amd                    # AMD's mount directory
amd_master=/etc/amd/master      # AMD 'master' map

# set the address for the loopback interface
ifconfig lo0 inet localhost

# use loopback, not the wire
route add $hostname localhost

==========
/etc/hosts:
==========
#
#       $Id: host,v 1.04 1995/05/16 12:01:15 salayne Exp $
#
#       TCPIP's host database (EXAMPLE)
#
#       Frequently accessed things are here to reduce routing delays.
#
127.1           sempco.uucp sempco www mail news usenet localhost
localhost.UUCP .UUCP

...(many entries for places i tend to visit from AmiTCP:db/hosts file.
    This speeds up nameservices since the ISP doesn't have to do it for
    me).
#
# ADDITIONAL hosts entries
#
199.217.253.10 admin.starnet.net
199.217.253.11 wupost.wustl.edu uustar.starnet.net news.starnet.net
18.62.2.35 jack-vance.mit.edu
---
Simeon A. Layne Jr.,  please address E-Mail as follows,
from INTERNET: sempco!slayne%uustar.starnet.net@localhost
         UUCP: uustar.starnet.net!sempco!slayne