Re: Serial console?

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Matthias Scheler wrote:

: You tried to remove "/dev/console" and to create a symbolic link to "tty0"?

Problem with this is, it does nothing for the kernel boot messages.  Okay,
lemme restate here.  I've attempted this with a 1.1 kernel, and I'm about
to compile a 1.2_BETA kernel and suspect it won't work (little changes to
the ite/view source)....

The first console at boot time is the internal serial at 9600 bps.  As the
grf cards and ite's are scanned (before any other boot messages are
printed), a working ite siezes the console if the appropriate XXXCONSOLE
option was compiled in.  (Of course, for some reason, such an option doesn't
even exist for grf0; it's sort-of 'implied'.)

Now, if grf0/ite0 is commented out in the config, and a graphics card is
compiled in, and the XXXCONSOLE for that card is *not*, the serial console
should be /dev/console (the system console, special device 0,0) and the
graphics card should still have a working ite.  Problem is, if I leave out
CL5426CONSOLE and grf0/ite0 but add grf3/ite3, the kernel hangs at bootup
when it reaches the 'grf3: ...' regular boot messages.  If grf0/ite0 are
compiled in but CL5426CONSOLE is not, ite0 siezes console just fine, and
grf3/ite3 work as a vanilla ite as expected.  Eh!?

=====
== Todd Vierling (Personal tv%pobox.com@localhost; Business
tv%iag.net@localhost) Amiga lives! ==
== System administrator/technician, Internet Access Group, Orlando Florida ==
== Dialups in Orange, Volusia, Lake, Osceola counties - http://www.iag.net ==