Re: library versions in pkgsrc binaries

maya%netbsd.org@localhost writes:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 01:51:34PM +0000, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:
>> console access.   I have in the past (I've been using NetBSD since
>> 1.x) had bad experiences with configuration files being overwritten,
>> and the need for extensive fixing to get back to a fully working
>> system.
>
> Skip etc.tgz, or use etcupdate for it.

Or set up and use pkgsrc/sysutils/etcmanage, which is a bit of work to
set up, but then updating to new builds along the release branch is
nearly trivial.  This unpacks the etc sets to /usr/netbsd-etc and then
updates files in /etc from that, only if those files have not been
modified since installation.

But definitely the "don't unpack /etc to root" is good advice.