Re: Linux emulation

On 04/03/15 09:29, Greg Troxel wrote:
"William A. Mahaffey III" <wam%hiwaay.net@localhost> writes:

On 04/03/15 04:49, Edgar Fuß wrote:
Does anyone onlist have experience doing this?
Yes, I'm running IBM's proprietary TSM backup client under Linux/Linux-32 emulation.

If so, how does it work?
Do you mean how it works internally or how you use it?
Just pkg_add the required susexxx packages and run the Linux binary.
Sorry, I meant 'how *well* does it work, performance-wise', which you
clarified below. Any experience w/ 64-bit emulation ? That is what I
am more interested in. FreeBSD doesn't provide it (WIP) & neither does
OpenBSD (no mention at all that I could cursorily locate). NetBSD
online docs imply that it's a done deal w/ NetBSD, part of the base
GENERIC kernel, hence my interest ....
I have never tried to run performance tests, but my impression is that
the user space code runs at full speed and the system calls hit an
emulation layer where they are transformed to native, but really this is
efficient as the big data movement stuff only happens once.
I don't recall people talking about threads not working right with Linux
binaries, but I am less clear on this.

It's quite easy to install a system and try it.  See the compat_linux
man page, and you probably will need some compat libs packages
(emulators/suse* from pkgsrc).    If your binary is static you can just
run it without needing to install any Linux libraries.

That last point is a good one, I didn't know/recall that, but that would simplify things considerably, & I already compile statically linked executables, in addition to dynamic. I will probably get on this this weekend or next week, thanks :-).

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                           -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.