Re: Preserving early console output (pre-Copyright stuff)

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 06:00:41AM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> There is a serial port, but I haven't figured out yet how to make it
> work in the BIOS.  And while I do have other machines with serial ports
> I've never used those ports and don't even have serial cables!  (The
> last time I used a serial cable was way back in the days of modems and
> dial-up 'net access!)

Heh.  You do need a serial cable and another computer, but it's not too
hard to set up.  You don't need to find any options in the BIOS if you
install the right boot blocks.

> The "pause every N calls" is probably over-kill - I'd be happy to pause
> on every call, if there is an appropriate pause() function that can be
> called at this early part of the boot process.

You could always do a simple spin-loop.  Assuming this is a temporary
thing you're doing for a single (or limited number of) system(s).

-allen

--
Allen Briggs  -  briggs%ninthwonder.com@localhost