Re: Questions bfore installing amd64

Hmmm I was a www.linuxfromscratch.org user in 2003 and also built
custom single cd fedora core 3 distro's a while back. I've also been
tinkering with freebsd since ver 2.x. I had a problem with the fbsd
boot loader after attempting installation 5 times on my new system -
it would bomb, and the fbsd team refused to entertain my bug report
citing lack of information. What information can I provide when my
system doesn't even boot to stage 1.5?  Anyways I tried netbsd and
instantly like the fact that I could put my interface netif
configuration like IP/mask in a separate file - so elegant and common
sense, unlike the freebsd rc.conf crap with its odd syntax...

Anyhow I am sold to the tight cohesive development model of BSD to
contrast with the schizophrenic approach under linux - each release
breaks something new because the linux developers live in compartments
and dependencies are forgotten.

However I no longer want to tinker with systems just because I can.
hence I am unwilling to invest the time I once happily would - being
busy for the sake of being busy,  to customize and fine-tune a system
to death. :)

Hence If your opinion is that One cannot get a multimedia desktop
capable of HD video working within 6 hours of an install attempt I
would rather stick to Ubuntu.

Thanks very much for responding.

Cheers

--