Port-alpha archive

Re: Is this list alive?

On Dec 18, 2012, at 10:44 AM, "Michael L. Hitch"
<mhitch%lightning.msu.montana.edu@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2012, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 08:01:49PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>>> I'm amazed that the 1000A is still running.  They're the only Alphas
>>> I've ever found to be less reliable than the Multia.  I'm glad to hear
>>> at least ONE of them was decent.
>>
>> I've never met anybody else with a 1000A -- any suggestions on things to
>> look out for, common failures, etc?
>
>  I have one.  I haven't had it on for some time (too busy with too many other
> things).
>
>  One major problem I ran into is that the 1000A has two PCI busses, and
> doesn't do the swizzle thing with the interrupts.  Plugging a PCI card into
> the 2nd bus slots doesn't work.  I was working on some changes to the 1000A
> support so cards would work in the 2nd bus slots, but haven't done anything
> with them for a while.  I don't know if I'd have any time to do anything
> until after I retire (which isn't that far away).

Another problem I discovered during my time using a 1000A with NetBSD is that
it lost the ability to reboot via "shutdown -r" circa NetBSD 5:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-alpha/2009/06/19/msg000314.html.  It made
remote updates somewhat less fun than before.  Not sure if that got fixed...

Cheers,

Paul.