Port-alpha archive

Re: Is this list alive?

On Dec 18, 2012, at 2:57 AM, Aaron J. Grier <agrier%poofygoof.com@localhost>
wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 08:01:49PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>> I'm amazed that the 1000A is still running.  They're the only Alphas
>> I've ever found to be less reliable than the Multia.  I'm glad to hear
>> at least ONE of them was decent.
>
> I've never met anybody else with a 1000A -- any suggestions on things to
> look out for, common failures, etc?

Sad to say, but I recently got finished wiping the hard drives of a 1000A to
get it prepped for surplus. :-(

The system ran like a champ 24/7 literally for many many years whilst its PC
brethren would struggle and flake out.  Unfortunately, its demise was signalled
by one of its SCSI hard drives failing, which was all the justification that
was needed for the Powers That Be that didn't like "that big hulking
monstrosity" to send it on its way. :-(

In a continuing nod to diversity, though, I'll be replacing it with a PPC-based
Xserve G5. :-)

Cheers,

Paul.