Port-alpha archive

Re: Is this list alive?

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012, Aaron J. Grier wrote:

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 08:01:49PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
I'm amazed that the 1000A is still running.  They're the only Alphas
I've ever found to be less reliable than the Multia.  I'm glad to hear
at least ONE of them was decent.

I've never met anybody else with a 1000A -- any suggestions on things to
look out for, common failures, etc?

I have one. I haven't had it on for some time (too busy with too many other things).

One major problem I ran into is that the 1000A has two PCI busses, and doesn't do the swizzle thing with the interrupts. Plugging a PCI card into the 2nd bus slots doesn't work. I was working on some changes to the 1000A support so cards would work in the 2nd bus slots, but haven't done anything with them for a while. I don't know if I'd have any time to do anything until after I retire (which isn't that far away).

Mike

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant