Port-alpha archive

Re: can't reboot after running a 5.0 kernel

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 07:27:14PM -0500, Chuck Cranor wrote:
> I just did the following test:
> [1] boot to single user
> [2] "mount -u /" and "mount -r /usr"
> [3] run "ifconfig" and "route add default" to bring up network
> [4] run "/usr/sbin/named" --- system hard hangs here, won't break to
>     DDB and requires a power cycle to recover.

In fact, you don't even need to that much.   Just run "dig"
(which is linked to pthreads) and the alpha will hard hang:

Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
We recommend creating a non-root account and using su(1) for root access.
No entry for terminal type "dumb";
using dumb terminal settings.
# mount -u /
# mount -r /usr
#
#
#
# dig
<<< system hard hangs, power cycle required >>>

chuck