Port-alpha archive

Re: can't reboot after running a 5.0 kernel

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 06:25:42PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2010/08/04/msg002091.html and
> Seems reasonable. Commit?

Yeah, I'm for it.   It is a step forward.   I wonder why David Young
didn't push it through?

But I'm still having bad kernel issues with the alpha:

netbsd 5.0: kernel boots multiuser, but eventually processes start
            hanging and the load goes up.

netbsd 5.0.2_PATCH, _and_
netbsd 5.1: kernel hangs hard booting multiuser... it gets to
            "Starting named." and then hangs.   Sending a break
            to the console has no effect (can't get DDB, have to
            power cycle).

HEAD: on a whim I just tried a HEAD kernel.   it booted multiuser, but
      I didn't do anything beyond that.

I played a bit with CVS, and the hard hang I'm seeing with 5.0.2 and
5.1 was introduced to the netbsd-5 branch some time between 01-May-09
and 01-Jul-09.

Has anyone successfully booted a 5.1 kernel on the alpha?

chuck

here are the kernel's I tried (in order, as above):

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-5.0/alpha/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz
http://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-5-0/201101252100Z/alpha/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz
http://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-5-1/201101261300Z/alpha/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz
http://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/201101271500Z/alpha/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz