Port-acorn32 archive

Re: Installed - how to configure?

Anthony Hilton wrote:
Having managed to get NetBSD 4 installed onto the hard disk in my second
RiscPC (ARM610, 36Mb RAM, 1Mb VRAM, RISC OS 4.39 ROMs) I cannot get it do do
anything other than boot into single user mode.

Attempting to run vi to edit rc.conf I get an error that the filing system
for temporary files in /var is read only and it doesn't open. I accepted te
offered partitioning scheme with a swap partition and a single partition for
the whole of /.

So a few basic questions (experience with Unix and similar systems is small):

How can I get the system to mount the file system r/w?

You can mount / as read/write by using:
mount -u -w /

Are there any other editors I can use? I'm not really comfortable with vi (I
have used it a couple of times but need usage notes in front of me).

There are other editors, but you'll need to compile them, as I don't think anyone has produced packages on arm for a number of years.
Is there a general configuration utility? I have used YAST on Linux a few
times in either text mode or GUI mode.

We did once have sushi, but it wasn't being maintained and so was dropped.

Is it possible to get a GUI running in single user mode?

Do you want to point me to the documentation instead of answering newbie
questions until I have this box doing something useful???
The NetBSD guide is probably a good place to start:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/index.html

I'd say that section 5.1.2 is where you've got to :)

For installing package the pkgsrc guide is probably a good start:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/index.html

Of course if you get any issues asking on here, or perhaps netbsd-users, should get you an answer.

Thanks,
Chris