Port-acorn32 archive

Re: Installed - how to configure?

In <URL:news:local.netbsd.acorn32> on Wed 19 Mar, Chris Gilbert wrote:
> Anthony Hilton wrote:
[snip]
> > So a few basic questions (experience with Unix and similar systems is
> > small):
> >
> > How can I get the system to mount the file system r/w?
> >

> You can mount / as read/write by using:
> mount -u -w /
>
> > Are there any other editors I can use? I'm not really comfortable with vi
> > (I have used it a couple of times but need usage notes in front of me).
> >

> There are other editors, but you'll need to compile them, as I don't
> think anyone has produced packages on arm for a number of years.

That is definitely for later then!

> > Is there a general configuration utility? I have used YAST on Linux a few
> > times in either text mode or GUI mode.
> >

> We did once have sushi, but it wasn't being maintained and so was dropped.

OK, so I'll learn the config files and do it 'properly'

> > Is it possible to get a GUI running in single user mode?
> >
> > Do you want to point me to the documentation instead of answering newbie
> > questions until I have this box doing something useful???
> >
> The NetBSD guide is probably a good place to start:
> http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/index.html
>
> I'd say that section 5.1.2 is where you've got to :)

That was certainly the point I needed to modify rc.conf - I modified it to
include dhclient=yes and rcconfigured=yes so now it boots to multi-user
*but*...

> For installing package the pkgsrc guide is probably a good start:
> http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/index.html

I'll go there once the system is working.

> Of course if you get any issues asking on here, or perhaps netbsd-users,
> should get you an answer.

Here I am again :-)

... when NetBSD boots into multi-user mode it gets to "starting virecover"
and then gets stuck reporting:

Postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/97359.248: No such
file or directory

this message is repeated with different filenames until the machine is reset
or powered off.

I googled and saw others report similar and that control-c stopped the
messages about postdrop and allowed boot to continue. Another recommendation
was Alt-F2 to get an alternative console to work on. I find that most key
presses generate repeated characters until Esc or Backspace are pressed -
Control generates repeated tttttt and Alt generates repeated wwwww

I think I'll try a re-install and hope it gets me back to single-user boot so
that I can get in and edit rc.conf as necessary - including sshd. I'll also
set up another user as a member of the wheel group so that I can attempt an
ssh remote session.

What do I need to prevent these postdrop messages?

Do I need to configure the keyboard differently?

Anthony

--
ajh%tinshill.f9.co.uk@localhost