3rd-party auxiliary files

I'm trying to create a package that requires one file from a third-party http
site. (The package is from Sourceforge, if that matters.) What is the best way
to specify getting this file?  I've tried DISTFILES+=file and
SITES.file=http://somesite, but then the main package file isn't put in
distinfo. I tried doing it "manually" in post-fetch/pre-configure stages, but I
don't know if I'm setting up the command correctly. I'd just put a local copy
in files/, but would like to be using the most current version.

Thanks,
Tim

--
Tim Larson
App Admin, Intercall Production Services