Re: Observations on KDE 4.2 in wip

On Thursday, 12 Feb 2009, Mark Davies wrote:
> > - The Akonadi service tries to start itself and fails every time, e.g.
> > after I try to use KRunner or Kopete.  (It seems very descriptive in
> > its error message.)
>
>yes.  The akonadi package claims that mysql is an optional dependency so
>currently we are building it without but this behaviour does suggest its
>required.

Yeah, the MySQL reference in the error surprised me, it seems like an
"everything, including the kitchen sink" approach they took there.

> > - The "new" mode start menu simply doesn't work for me.  It draws an
> > initial outline of a window on the screen and then never fills it in.
> > Switching it to "classic" mode works fine (which I prefer anyway).
>
>Works for me (though I probably prefer "classic" as well).

I'll try being more patient with it and see if it does something
eventually, out of curiosity.

> > fixed things for me.  (I see the TODO file also references the idea of
> > migrating some of this data.)
>
>That was a reference to the fact that pkgsrc's kde3 user config lives under
>~/.kde/share/kde/... whereas kde4 lives under ~/.kde/share/... so kde4
>wont use any existing kde3 user config (and automatically update it if
>appropriate) because it wont see it.  If however you have some really old
>kde2 config lying around or some none pkgsrc kde3 it may well see that.
>And yes stuff in Desktop is a separate issue and may well display oddly.

Hmm, the left-over directories I had were all from either KDE3 or
Gnome.  I blasted out all of them, and that's when the "no text in the
taskbar icons" glitch went away.  Anyway, it's fine now.

Thanks,

Dave