Re: mktool support for fetch

On Tue, Oct 01, 2024 at 01:15:45PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I'm still opposed; it feels like we are headed for a one-way trip into
> "if your platform doesn't support rust, you can't develop for pkgsrc".
> I know that's not the intent, but so many things have ended up that way,
> and I am not able to come up with any 'rust optional' things that haven't.
>
> I realize I'm an outlier here, but just for the record since the
> question was re-asked.

I'm also opposed for taking this in too lighthearyly and making it defacto
standard. What I DO like is the reimplementation of the commands into a
non-shell based support program only i'd rather not like its implementation in
rust for the same reasons really but also from a maintainability perspective.
I understand his reasons behind his language choice and laud his effords for
doing the hard lifting but we should see if we could easily transcribe it into
say C that runs on all platforms. Using OpenMP would be a nice way to easily
implement the multi threading if its available on the platform and otherwise
its ignored anyway and in the worst case it would still be faster.

With regards,
Reinoud