Re: emacs missing module support

At Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:51:47 -0600, "J. Lewis Muir" <jlmuir%imca-cat.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: emacs missing module support

> On 03/01, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 01, 2024 at 08:26:50AM +0000, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> > > * On 2024-02-29 at 22:35 GMT, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > > I assume it's ok to add this back in explicitly to the -nox11 versions?
> >
> > The emacs-nox11 version has a comment that it is a minimal version
> > without any features (in the Makefile comment).
>
> I don't use emacs, but that comment for emacs-nox11 certainly goes
> against POLA to me: when I see "nox11", to me that means "does not
> require X11 to run," not "minimal."

Indeed.  "emacs-nox11" should only remove the X11 dependency (and any
other related fallout from removing X11 support).

In the emacs world, i.e. the world view of emacs users, X11 support or
lack thereof isn't about bloat, but rather which, if any, GUI does it
run under.

Personally I don't see the point to an "emacs-minimal" package that
blindly disables every option, but if anyone wanted it, sure, why not.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>