Re: emacs missing module support

On Fri, Mar 01, 2024 at 08:26:50AM +0000, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> * On 2024-02-29 at 22:35 GMT, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 02:13:05PM +0000, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> > > I don't use emacs, but I have users saying they are unable to use extensions
> > > such as vterm because our emacs packages are built without module support.
> > >
> > > I've tested adding "CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--with-modules" and it works fine, but
> > > I'm curious to hear from emacs users why this hasn't been added already.
> >
> > I guess because on NetBSD, it's not missing. When I compile emacs29 or
> > wip/emacs-git, I see
> >
> >  Does Emacs have dynamic modules support?                yes
> >
> > So if that doesn't happen on Illumos, I'd try to find out why the
> > defaults are different there.
>
> This is emacs29-nox11 on macOS.
>
> It looks like the problem is that the emacs -nox11 versions are given
> --without-all, which disables everything including module support.  I expect
> this will be the same for you on NetBSD too, at least if I'm reading
> configure correctly.

Yes, I see the same on NetBSD with emacs29-nox11.

   Does Emacs have dynamic modules support?                no

> > Feel free to explicitly enable it though if it helps!
>
> I assume it's ok to add this back in explicitly to the -nox11 versions?

The emacs-nox11 version has a comment that it is a minimal version
without any features (in the Makefile comment).

I don't really have an opinion on what features emacs29-nox11 should
have because I'm not sure what the user expectations are, and I
personally want a fully-featured emacs, so I use emacs29 (or
emacs-git).

Does the emacs29 package compile on macOS? If so, perhaps just point
module users to that?

Or add the module support, but then perhaps also read the configure
output and check what other configure options should be turned on...
Again, no real opinions on -nox11 here.
 Thomas