Re: ladybird browser?

On Thursday, February 29th, 2024 at 9:26 AM, Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> For Chromium, you really need a team of people doing only the Chromium port. It's that big.

True, it's a monster. Just looking at the amount of patches needed for qtwebengine should give an idea on the amount of work needed.

> webkit-gtk used to work fine when I last tried it, about a year ago.

It still does but, we have 2.36.8 and upstream is at 2.42.5
There's a problem with version > 2.36.8 reported in the TODO file in wip.

> But I used it with Midori as the frontend, and I gather that Midori is no longer in development.

Wrong. Midori is still alive but, it was acquired by Astian, Inc. and is now Electron based.
https://astian.org/midori-browser/

I've suggested sometime ago that the package for Midori should be removed.
But, we usually don't do that.
This is out-of-topic and should probably be discussed else where.

So, yes another browser in pkgsrc would be nice.
As, it would be to have a Qt6 version of qtwebengine and switch qutebrowser from the security hole that the qtwebkit back-end is to qtwebengine.

Regards,
Pedro