Re: wip/jed and wip/xjed committer request

On 11/29/23 07:51, Greg Troxel wrote:
On a side note, there is an actively developed "development" version
of jed that is out there by jedsoft. I have no idea why there hasn't
been a stable release since 2009 but does anyone think that we should
also include this in pkgsrc?
It used to be that pkgsrc had a "releases only" norm, but this has
eroded these days people seem to think it's ok to ask people to use the
tip of some VCS and not have releases.  (They are of course wrong....)
Certainly after these are hoisted, adding wip/jed that follows the
development releases is a reasonable thing to do.

As a general rule, I'll commit a non-release if it contains an important
security or bug fix, but generally stick to releases if it's practical.
However, I often see long lags between releases in the scientific
packages I maintain, and users often require the latest features, so
there is little choice in these cases.

Might be good to open an issue with upstream and suggest doing frequent
releases for the sake of package maintainers.