Re: python version confusion with cython (Re: math/py-scipy)

Am Thu, 12 Oct 2023 22:14:58 -0400
schrieb "David H. Gutteridge" <david%gutteridge.ca@localhost>:

> Short answer: the version of Meson from pkgsrc you're using is too old.
> Please update to at least meson-1.2.1nb3. This handles pkgsrc's idea of

Ah, I feared as much. Thanks for your work on this!

> versioned Cython.

> There are several possibilities to handle this differently. You touched
> on one I didn't mention, using Cython as an unversioned tool.

Indeed this seems to be what upstream strongly suggests: Cython being
implemented in Python itself is an implementation detail and we should
not bother versioning it. Just like meson. Seems reasonable to me. Well
… if there's a chance to get rid of multiversion packages, shouldn't it
be grabbed?

Of course I am ignorant about possible implications of python version
mismatches despite upstream's claims. Indeed, the Linux world thinks
about py2 vs. py3, not so much about multiple py3x being present.

Alrighty then,

Thomas

--
Dr. Thomas Orgis