changing default python version to 3.11?

Adam <adam%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> By the way, maybe Python 3.11 should be the default from now on?

I have replied to just this and changed the subject, so that people who
choose not to pay attention to 3.7 issues will see it.

I was wondering about this and was about to ask.

If it is going to change before the next branch (which I expect I am
managing), then I would prefer that to happen in July, on the general
principle of having changes that might be troublesome further away from
branch start, if there's no good reason for them to be later.

Looking at the 2023Q1 build for NetBSD 9 x86_64, I see

  1605	py38
  1604	py39
  1604	py310
  1590	py311

and diffing the list after patching up included versions shows that the
14 missing are

  py-cookies-2.2.1nb1.tgz
  py-eth-abi-3.0.1.tgz
  py-eth-account-0.7.0.tgz
  py-eth-keyfile-0.6.0.tgz
  py-eth-keys-0.4.0.tgz
  py-eth-rlp-0.3.0.tgz
  py-guppy3-3.1.2nb1.tgz
  py-music21-8.1.0.tgz
  py-photutils-1.0.1nb1.tgz
  py-pysha3-1.0.2nb1.tgz
  py-rlp-3.0.0.tgz
  py-scikit-image-0.19.3.tgz
  py-sip-4.19.25.tgz
  py-uncompyle6-3.9.0.tgz

I expect that getting these to work is either manageable, or that the
upstream packages are unmaintained -- but I think it's helpful to see
the list.

py-sip-4 is old and unlikely to be 3.11-ok, but most things have
migrated.  I find only devel/breezy-qbrz and 4 things in wip.  That just
means they'll use 310 to build, though, as they do now.

So by the "really close to as many packages building" it seems that
moving to 3.11 is ok.

Other thoughts?  (Especially anybody who sees trouble I missed!)