Re: Replacement/Reinstatement for x11/gdm needed

Connor McLaughlan <cont6pro3%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> x11/gdm was deleted from pkgsrc a year ago for possibly not beeing
> able to run a gnome session.

I don't remember the details, but I suspect (at least I hope) that it
was deleted due to being nonbuildable and unmaintained upstream.

> However it provides a graphical way to quickly switch between a lot of
> different desktop sessions like lxde/mate/lxqt/.. and so on. Due to
> this feature i have also seen it mentioned in a few netbsd tutorials.
>
> So far this is the only display manager (that was) available in pkgsrc
> to present this session list and that is why i am still compiling and
> using it on my systems.
>
> Other display managers with this feature like lightdm are not
> available or did i miss one?

You are welcome to add it to pkgsrc-wip, where we don't have any of
those pesky quality rules.  If you are able to work out the issues and
especially if you become the new upstream and it's maintained, we can
talk about adding it back.  See

  https://pkgsrc.org/wip/

which includes instructions for asking for commit access.