Re: PKGPATH conditions in mk.conf

Roland Illig <roland.illig%gmx.de@localhost> writes:

> Am 11.08.2022 um 12:30 schrieb nia:
>> On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 12:15:28PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
>>> Just like we can set PKG_OPTIONS.pkgbase, can package specific values be
>>> provided for other variables - say PKGSRC_COMPILER.
>>
>> .if !empty(PKGPATH:Mlang/perl5)
>
> Just out of interest: since PKGPATH is guaranteed to be defined in
> mk.conf and since it contains a single word only, the above condition
> can also be written as:
>
> .if ${PKGPATH} == lang/perl5
>
> .if ${PKGPATH} == "lang/perl5"
>
> .if ${PKGPATH:Mlang/perl5}
>
> I wonder whether there is any benefit of the '!empty' over the above
> alternatives, other than "we've always done it like that".

I bet it's just "always done it".  I personally find !empty of :M to be
very confusing and I have to check every time.  I guess it's ok for
regexps, if that works.  I mildly prefer the 2nd of your 3, but arguably
the first is better on the don't-gratuitously-quote plan, and for me
it's a very close second.