Re: Bulkbuild and PKG_OPTIONS

Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> writes:

> manphiz <manphiz%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
>
>> I have been trying to get familiar with NetBSD (currently in an AMD64
>> VM) and would like to install it on my Yeeloong netbook (with loongson
>> 2f CPU) later.  AIUI mips64el doesn't have a regularly built package set
>> available so I'm trying to get familiar with pkgsrc and bulkbuild.
>
> Great, and welcome.
>
>> One problem I'm facing is that the Emacs (more specifically
>> emacs27-nox11) I built using bulkbuild doesn't seem to have gnutls
>> support enabled and it fails to connect to melpa.org through HTTPS.  I
>> cannot use HTTP either as the website has been redirecting HTTP to HTTPS
>> for a while.  My bulkbuild set up is based on this wiki page[1], and I'm
>> having trouble to figure out how to properly set PKG_OPTIONS.  I have
>> tried to add "PKG_OPTIONS.emacs27-nox11+= gnutls jansson xml" in
>> /usr/pbulk/etc/mk.conf or /etc/mkconf (all path in sandbox chroot)
>> but the resulting package seemed to ignore those settings.
>
> In emacs27-nox11, "make show-options" shows none.  Looking at emacs27:
>
> $ /usr/pkgsrc/editors > egrep gnutls emacs27*/*
>
> emacs27/PLIST:info/emacs-gnutls.info.gz
> emacs27/PLIST:share/emacs/${PKGVERSION}/lisp/net/gnutls.el.gz
> emacs27/PLIST:share/emacs/${PKGVERSION}/lisp/net/gnutls.elc
> emacs27/options.mk:PKG_SUPPORTED_OPTIONS=                       dbus gnutls imagemagick jansson svg xaw3d xml
> emacs27/options.mk:PKG_SUGGESTED_OPTIONS=       dbus gnutls gtk3 jansson xml x11
> emacs27/options.mk:### Support gnutls
> emacs27/options.mk:.if !empty(PKG_OPTIONS:Mgnutls)
> emacs27/options.mk:.include "../../security/gnutls/buildlink3.mk"
> emacs27/options.mk:CONFIGURE_ARGS+=     --without-gnutls
>

> So two thoughts:
>
>   if you really need the gnutls option, perhaps use emacs27 and put up
>   with the xbloat.  Or patch the source.  I don't know why that option
>   isn't in both, as nox11 shouldn't really imply not gnutls, but it is
>   sort of "minimal" at the same time.
>
>   sometimes emacs things use external gnutls helper program.  I have a
>   system with eamcs26-nox11 that does IMAP over TLS that way, without
>   any gnutls option in emacs.

Thanks Greg!  Building emacs27 with gnutls support worked just fine.  I
was confused about the Makefile of emacs27-nox11 which included the
Makefile.common in emacs27 and I though it might also inherit the
options.  Turns out the options.mk file was only included in the
Makefile of emacs27, not emacs27-nox11.  Looks like something similar
can be done make the common options available to both ports.  Will do
some experiments to see how to make that work.

Thanks again!