Bulkbuild and PKG_OPTIONS

Hi pkgsrc-users,

I have been trying to get familiar with NetBSD (currently in an AMD64
VM) and would like to install it on my Yeeloong netbook (with loongson
2f CPU) later.  AIUI mips64el doesn't have a regularly built package set
available so I'm trying to get familiar with pkgsrc and bulkbuild.

One problem I'm facing is that the Emacs (more specifically
emacs27-nox11) I built using bulkbuild doesn't seem to have gnutls
support enabled and it fails to connect to melpa.org through HTTPS.  I
cannot use HTTP either as the website has been redirecting HTTP to HTTPS
for a while.  My bulkbuild set up is based on this wiki page[1], and I'm
having trouble to figure out how to properly set PKG_OPTIONS.  I have
tried to add "PKG_OPTIONS.emacs27-nox11+= gnutls jansson xml" in
/usr/pbulk/etc/mk.conf or /etc/mkconf (all path in sandbox chroot)
but the resulting package seemed to ignore those settings.  I've also
tried to set this in a mk.conf for bootstrapping pbulk, but the
resulting pbulk doesn't have this setting in any of the mk.conf either.
I'm sure there's something I'm not doing it right and any suggestions
are welcome.

My setup: NetBSD 9.2 (AMD64), pkgsrc 2021Q3, with sandbox on a
unprivileged pbulk user (/home/pbulk, all previous sandbox path are
relative to this path).  Let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks in advance.

[1] https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/pkgsrc/pbulk/