Does Gnome3 work? How to install?

Hi,

I did a fresh install of meta-pkgs/gnome (pkgsrc-2021Q3), which seems to be
Gnome3 (Gnome2 disappeared?), on a NetBSD/amd64 9.2 installation (i5, 4GB,
radeondrmkmsfb) and I wonder what I have to do to make it work. Is there a
guide somewhere? Does it work for anybody?

The install notice and Wiki just says to export XCURSOR_PATH and "exec
gnome-session" in .xsession. That doesn't work, of course.

My guess is that at least I have to enable the new daemons in rc.conf: dbus,
avahidaemon, winbindd, nmbd and smbd. Which I did. Then I copied
~/.xsession to ~/.xinitrc, and "startx" finally launched the gnome session.

It doesn't work very well, though. The settings (gnome-control-center) crash
every time. And I cannot launch the gnome-terminal application. The console
shows:

Gnome Shell-Message: Error registering session with GDM:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.gnome.DisplayManager was not provided by any .service files
# Error construction proxy for
org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling
StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Temrinal: process org.gnome.Terminal
exited with status 8

For a second user on the system, who used Gnome2 before, Gnome3 behaves even
more strange. Parts of the screen are not redrawn, or only after waiting
for many seconds.

Any hints what I'm missing? Some more daemons to start, or configuration
files to change? Do I have to delete old Gnome2 settings somewhere?

gdm seems gone as well. How do you automatically start Gnome3 nowadays?

Thanks in advance,

--
Frank Wille