Re: xentools413 not building (NetBSD-current, pkgsrc-current)

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 09:59:53AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> [...]
>> I can build xentools413 under netbsd-9, pkgsrc-2020Q4, amd64 (not
>> pbulk).  It doesn't seem to be in the pkgbuild binary set, though.
>
> it's not because the newer Xen doesn't build on 9.0_RELEASE.
> Maybe we should update the build env to 9.1 ...

My view is that netbsd-9 fixes bugs in 9.0 and that everyone running any
flavor of 9 should update to the latest netbsd-9, and certainly to 9.1.
We have an ABI compat rule, so the bulk build environments being 9.1 and
hoping for compat for 9.0 users (who really should have upgraded) is
much better than having the bulk build environments at 9.0 and hoping
for compat for 9.1 users, as well as having the build environment have
more bugs.

I realize updating it every week is too much, but going to 9.1 from 9.0
seems like obviously the rigth thing to do.

I also don't understand why xentools413 doesn't build on 9.0, but my
position is that if works on 9.1, that's ok, becuase the build box ought
to be 9.1 anyway.

If that seems confused and I'm missing something, let me know, but until
then that's my story and I'm sticking to it!