Re: Debian packagers also struggle with many dependencies

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 02:00:03PM +0000, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> * On 2021-01-22 at 13:30 GMT, Rhialto wrote:
>
> > An interesting article on LWN. If they come up with some solution (but
> > so far it doesn't look like it) this could be useful for pkgsrc too.
>
> I don't see there being any possible solution.  Something like
> www/grafana has over 2,000 dependencies and growing.  Trying to manage
> them separately would be utterly impossible.
>
> The only way is to bundle them all statically into each build, as
> we're doing for both Go modules and Rust crates.
>
> To be honest, while I really don't like it, especially when you end up
> with crazy things like 70+ different versions of the golang.org/x/sys
> module for just one package, it is relatively cleanly implemented in
> pkgsrc, and you do end up with a single binary in a single package at
> the end that does just work.
>
> And hey, we did get an improved checksum script out of it ;)

It's worth noting that Go will use a singular version of
golang.org/x/sys for this package - the newest one.

This is also evident from there being a single .zip file, the others are
.mod files. I'm not sure why Go wants to have all the go.mod files, but
they don't contain any code.