Re: Debian packagers also struggle with many dependencies

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 2:51 PM voidpin <voidpin%protonmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Had seen it and it's an interesting discussion.
> But, don't we already follow some sort of principle which seems more liberal than Debian?
>
> Rust packages come to mind and their CARGO_CRATE_DEPENDS.

For Go *module* builds, we do the same. Dependent modules are
downloaded as part of "make fetch", not as separate packages. Really,
packaging every little Go library individually is unsustainable, there
are far too many. Also, if you build everything in a module (as
opposed to the subset required to build, say, Kubernetes or Hugo or
Caddy or whatever), you typically need tons of extra dependencies.

--
Benny