Re: pkgsrc bootstrap fails on DilOS

* On 2021-01-04 at 16:49 GMT, Hung Nguyen Gia wrote:

> I tried to modifed tools.SunOS.mk, but finally abandoned the effort
> because I think DilOS userland is just Debian which is anti-Illumos
> when everything lives on /bin and /usr/bin. If I modified it to work
> under DilOS, it will break on other Illumos distros. I think we will
> need a separate tools.DilOS.mk, unless somehow we could have logic
> like 'if os name = DilOS then bla bla...' in tools.SunOS.mk.  I'm
> not good at make files so I don't know if it's possible or not.

It's certainly possible, there are plenty of places where we do
similar things to handle differences between illumos flavours and
Linux distributions, e.g. with .if exists(/usr/xpg4/bin/...)

The question is more whether it's worth it, as DilOS is certainly a
very niche system with a small userbase, where the whole point is to
use Debian packaging and userland.

It may not be worth adding lots of patches to support a system used by
one or two people, which is why I suggest if you make the changes
necessary to get things working, however hacky, we can then review how
much effort it would be to integrate them correctly and whether it's
worthwhile.

We've supported such niche systems in the past, e.g. Bitrig, so I hope
this doesn't come across as demoralising.  Just trying to be realistic
about whether it's something that will be properly maintained.