Re: [HEADS UP] pkgsrc default database directory changed

In article <20201210213958.avrkrn2beas4wve7%yt.nih.at@localhost>,
Thomas Klausner  <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 07:29:05PM +0300, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 02, 2020 at 11:28:41 +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>>
>> > The new default for the pkgsrc database (which contains information
>> > about all installed packages) in pkgsrc-HEAD has changed from
>> > /var/db/pkg to ${PREFIX}/pkgdb (so usually /usr/pkg/pkgdb).
>>
>> This seems to be broken with current (with the new pkg_install)
>> vs. building from source from pkgsrc-quarterly
>>
>> The new tools use the new location by default, but the quarterly
>> branch uses PKG_DBDIR?=/var/db/pkg, so when you build packages the
>> build process looks (and writes) to the wrong place.  So you need
>> PKG_DBDIR=/usr/pkg/pkgdb in mk.conf
>
>That is the best solution, yes.
>
>(The problem is that pkg_install and pkgsrc/mk need to be changed at
>the same time, which is why this change is so difficult in the first
>place.)

I don't think that's the best solution. I think that backwards
compatibility should be provided all the time (until everyone has
migrated). The new tools can nag, but still be able to use the
old location. To silence them one should be able to make symlinks.
New installations can use the new location. Forcing changes like
this serve only to piss off users.

christos