Re: /var/db/pkg vs /usr/pkg/pkgdb, /usr/sbin/pkg* vs /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg* and default PATH

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 03:42:34PM +0100, Benny Siegert wrote:
> > When you run pkg_add manully it runs /usr/sbin/pkg_add and updates
> > /var/db/pkg whereas if you install using pkgsrc it uses
> > /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_add and uses /usr/pkg/pkgdb
>
> No. It only does this if you bootstrap and use bmake. Don't do that
> (on NetBSD), or you will have the split-brain situation you speak of.

Sorry, I missed the point. I should not do bootstrap? I thought that's
necessary to get pkgsrc set.

On NetBSD I never use bmake. I use make. But thought it won't matter. Does
it?

> Instead, use "make package-install" or the like, and it will do the
> right thing.

Having which db is the right (or largely followed) thing - /var/db or
/usr/pkg? And does package-install specifically do something different
from other targets (in the context of db location issue)?

--
Mayuresh