/var/db/pkg vs /usr/pkg/pkgdb, /usr/sbin/pkg* vs /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg* and default PATH

The default .profile in /root puts /usr/sbin ahead of /usr/pkg/sbin
export PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/pkg/sbin:/usr/pkg/bin

When you run pkg_add manully it runs /usr/sbin/pkg_add and updates
/var/db/pkg whereas if you install using pkgsrc it uses
/usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_add and uses /usr/pkg/pkgdb

Shouldn't the defaults be such that such confusion is avoided. For example
should the default PATH have pkg ahead? I think I have done so on older
systems, but whenever I set up a new one, I always forget this and I end
up running into this issue.

--
Mayuresh