Re: Issues with newer Python versions

Brogan Beard <broganbeard%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> I have a separate thread already where I am trying to make sure I know how
> to properly report a bug. That being said, is anyone else experiencing
> problems using modern Python when building certain packages? I am running
> python39 and, for example, continue to receive attribute errors. I am
> capable enough (I think) to tinker and fix them, but I am wondering if I
> should just downgrade versions. Perhaps there is a recommended *stable* version
> of Python for building packages from source? I am running current, so would
> expect things like this to happen. Just wondering what I can do to
> make my *current
> *builds more stable besides fixing one-off issues here and there.

It will help to give more information about what you are doing, such as:

   netbsd version, and perhaps architecture

   where did you get python from?  Are you using pkgsrc?

   you say "certain packages". Are these pkgsrc packages, or something
   else?

As for pyhon 3.9, in theory python is a stable language, and in practice
it seems programs have to be adapted.  This isn't about netbsd or
pkgsrc, but if you want to run something and it doesn't work with 3.9
yet then you can fix it or not use 3.9.

In pkgsrc we mark packages as not working with python versions.  We do
make fixes, but really the fixes should be applied upstream and upstream
should make a new release.

Overall, unless you really need to use 3.9 for some reason< I would
recommend 3.8 as the version most likely to not provoke problems, as my
best guess from watching the list traffic.