Re: xfce4-wm fails on netbsd-8/amd64

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 at 20:49:14 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
I am doing the usual rebuild-all-during-freeze.

Most things are building, but I am finding xfce4-wm to fail.  Does it
build for others?  Any clues?

gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/work/wm/xfce4-wm/work/xfwm4-4.14.4/settings-dialogs'
Making all in src
gmake[2]: Entering directory '/tmp/work/wm/xfce4-wm/work/xfwm4-4.14.4/src'
 CC       xfwm4-hints.o
hints.c: In function 'getWindowPID':
hints.c:1455:5: error: unknown type name 'XResClientIdSpec'
    XResClientIdSpec client_specs;
    ^
hints.c:1456:5: error: unknown type name 'XResClientIdValue'
    XResClientIdValue *client_ids = NULL;
    ^
hints.c:1463:21: error: request for member 'client' in something not a structure or union
        client_specs.client = w;
[...]

Hi Greg,

This is because xfwm4 4.14.3 introduced optional support for X.org's
XRes extension. Unfortunately, the check they used in their configure
script simply determines whether XRes is available, not its version.
They're using XRes 1.2 features, but the base version installed in
NetBSD 8.x is too old to support that. Their configure script needs
fixing.

That update was my commit. I'm afraid I didn't see this until now; I
haven't been keeping up to date on all the mailing lists lately. Until
relatively recently, I was including NetBSD 8.x among my test
environments, meaning I would build and use my updates on a laptop
running 8.x. The hard drive on it is now failing, and I'd inferred
there's little interest among others in really supporting desktop
applications on that branch, so I dropped it. I can work on a fix, but
would have to get an 8.2 environment running again first.

(As a different example, LXQt almost entirely builds on 8.x, but fails
because of x11/libkscreen expecting Wayland stuff that won't build. I'd
modified libkscreen to conditionalize Wayland support, but never
bothered to commit that, as it changed a lot of CMake files, and I
wasn't sure it would matter to anyone.)

Regards,

Dave