Re: gcc on Darwin

On 10/13/20 4:28 PM, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
* On 2020-10-13 at 21:47 BST, Jason Bacon wrote:

Anyone else having trouble with gcc7 and gcc8 on Darwin lately? I haven't
tried other gcc versions yet.  This is on High Sierra, since my newest Mac
is 10 years old.  If the gcc packages are working on more recent OS X, I
wouldn't make fixing this a high priority, since support for High Sierra
will likely end soon.
They all build fine and are available for my current Mojave package sets:

   $ pkgin se ^gcc[0-9]*-[0-9]
   gcc10-10.2.0nb1      The GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) - 10.0 Release Series
   gcc7-7.5.0nb3        The GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) - 7.0 Release Series
   gcc8-8.4.0nb2        The GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) - 8.0 Release Series

They also built fine on my recent Big Sur bulk build, though gcc10 did
run into a space problem in /var/tmp that I'll look into fixing.

Also for my historical Sierra sets they're all available, though are
slightly older than what's in pkgsrc right now, but if you just need
to get things running then you may find them useful:

   $ export PKG_REPOS=https://us-east.manta.joyent.com/pkgsrc/public/packages/Darwin/10.12/trunk/x86_64/All
   $ pkgin se ^gcc[0-9]*-[0-9]
   gcc48-4.8.5nb8       The GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) - 4.8 Release Series
   gcc5-5.5.0nb5        The GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) - 5 Release Series
   gcc6-6.5.0nb3        The GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) - 6 Release Series
   gcc7-7.4.0nb3        The GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) - 7.0 Release Series
   gcc8-8.3.0nb1        The GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) - 8.0 Release Series

Doesn't directly address the issue you're running into but hopefully
at least provides some data points to help pinpoint any causes.

Thanks for the detailed data.  They were both working fine for me on High Sierra some months ago.  I ran into this while running pkg_chk -u today after a cvs update.

I'll look into when I can make some time to see if there's an easy fix, but it's time for some newer hardware, much as I hate to admit it.