Re: www/firefox 81 opens too many files

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 12:09 PM Marc Baudoin <babafou%babafou.eu.org@localhost> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since www/firefox has been upgraded to version 81, it uses way
> more files than before on my system (NetBSD/amd64 9.0) after only
> a few minutes using it and either crashes leaving a core file or
> makes me quit it because other software complains there are too
> many open files.
>
> I didn't change the maximum number of open files on the system:
>
> % sysctl kern.maxfiles
> kern.maxfiles = 3404
>
> and www/firefox version 80 worked perfectly that way.
>
> Version 81.0.2 (recently committed) also shows the same problem.
>
> Is anybody else having that problem? Does anybody know if it's
> specific to NetBSD or if it's also happening on other operating
> systems?
>
> Thanks.

I get the open files problem a lot when i use kde components.
As far as i know, this is only the possible limit you can set the
actual value to:
kern.maxfiles = 3404

So 3404 is not the current value, but the max value.

This delivers the current actie value which is likely to be 1024:
ulimit -n

If you set:
ulimit -n unlimited

then it will set the current value of possible file descriptors to the
max value of  3404.

If you need a higher max value, then you need to recompile your kernel
with a new standard max value.

Regards,
Connor