Re: [HEADS UP] perl 5.32 vs. pkgin

On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 04:18:17PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> When you upgrade to perl-5.32 with pkgin, please make sure to delete
> p5-Time-HiRes and p5-DB_File first (if you have them installed).
>
> Otherwise the update will fail badly, since pkgin has no SUPERSEDES
> support yet.

I've fixed this now.

pkgsrc contained a lot of p5-* packages for code that has been
included in perl itself for some years now. There was no real point to
them in most cases; at some point in the past the p5-* package might
have contained newer code than the code included in perl itself, but
at least at this point in time, the packages included in perl are new
enough for all packages in pkgsrc.

So I removed these p5-* packages now. If something needs to run the
code, it is still there as part of the perl package.

Additionally, lang/perl5 contained CONFLICTS lines for the p5-*
packages. I guess this was to avoid having installed unnecessary
packages (since the version included in perl was newer) but right now
it just caused unnecessary breakage. And in the pkgsrc sense, there
was no conflict, since the code was installed in different paths in
the file system (under vendor_perl for the p5-* versions).

Please upgrade directly to perl-5.32.0nb1 if you have any of the
following packages installed. It should work automatically without any issues.

You can then remove the p5-* packages, they are not useful any longer.

archivers/p5-Archive-Tar
converters/p5-JSON-PP
converters/p5-MIME-Base64
converters/p5-Unicode-Collate