Re: [HEADS UP] perl 5.32 vs. pkgin

Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 at 15:18, Thomas Klausner <wiz%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> When you upgrade to perl-5.32 with pkgin, please make sure to delete
>> p5-Time-HiRes and p5-DB_File first (if you have them installed).
>>
>> Otherwise the update will fail badly, since pkgin has no SUPERSEDES
>> support yet.
>
> Similar stuff happens using pkg_rolling-replace:

Yes.   pkg_rr also has no SUPERSEDES support.

The underlying issue is that "pkg_add -u" finds that the new perl
conflicts with old packages.

The root cause is upstream packages, or our splitting of them, shouldn't
move files between packages because it makes all schemes that replace
one package at a time fail.  Typically this happens in TeX land.

Generally in such circumstances, the thing to do is "pkg_delete -f" of
the conflicting packages.   Really, that should mark all packages that
depend on the force-removed packages as unsafe_depends, but since they
all depend on perl, and that's about to be replaced, I think things will
be ok.