Installing a stray tgz file

In my travels I discovered the attached tgz archive, and I want to install it. Not sure how to do that.

For those of you who have been playing along at home, I am trying to find a way, regardless of how kludgey, around recent advice obtained here that I should "remove all your packages."

Suggestions welcome.

Thank you

--
 A test of right and wrong must be the means, one would
 think, of ascertaining what is right or wrong, and not a

                               J. S. Mill