Re: Is *anyone* using pkgsrc on IRIX?

Hello,

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 06:58:36 +0200
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 12:33:19PM -0700, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > What packages should we be adding (back), then, in order to make this
> > useful for you?
> >
> > And is the current bootstrap process usable?
>
> Just an anectode from (my) not so distant past:
>
> For some platforms it would be really great to keep old binary bootstrap
> results around, and maybe a few binary pkgs even if totally outdated.
> This does not need to happen on TNF machines or official servers, but
> we could have pointers that people are able to find easily.
>
> I had to install an ancient SunOS some time ago and was mostly lost -
> no official compiler available (to me), modern bootstrap did not work
> with random gcc and binutils binaries I found elsewhere...

Yeah, lots of old commercial UNIXes ( that still have users, for
whatever reasons ) ship without compiler, or without *usable* compiler.
Having *some* gcc binary packages available would be really helpful.
Doesn't need to be modern, just new enough to build a modern gcc.
Especially now that some of the old freeware sites die off.

have fun
Michael