Re: Failure to build current pkgsrc - gobject-introspection

On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 11:38:26AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> writes:
>
> >> In short, you need to rebuild "glib2" and then "gobject-introspection"
> >> will rebuild properly (as well as a few other packages which use it).
> >>
> >>   $ cd /wherever/pkgsrc/devel/glib2
> >>   $ make replace package clean
> >>   $ cd
> >>   $ pkg_rolling-replace -u [etc...]
> >
> > oh thank you. I di exactly that, in glib2, make replace && make clean.
> > glib2 was actually up to date (checked first) ... but this helped
>
> I realize this has been explained multiple times - but it seems that
> there is something wrong.  If a packaged isn't marked unsafe_depends
> (because of a dependency being replaced), it causes problems, and
> rebuilding it helps, then it seems there is some hidden dependency.
>
> Does anyone understand what's wrong with glib2 in this case such that
> rebuilding it helps?  And how this problem is happening despite the
> "rebuild things that depend on a replaced package"?

All I can think of is that glib's .gir files come with
gobject-introspection, whereas e.g., gtk3's .gir file comes with gtk3.
The reason is that gobject-introspection requires glib to build, so
glib couldn't depend on gobject-introspection to build it's .gir
files. (This is the way it is packaged upstream too.)

(Didn't look at the beginning of this thread, so don't know if .gir
were involved.)

Cheers,

Patrick