lang/perl5 install fails on OS X Lion

I've recently starting playing around with an old Mac Mini which can't be upgraded past Mac OS X Lion (10.7.5). I downloaded a current PKGSRC and, after resolving a small compiler issue, successfully bootstrapped. I've been able to install a number of packages but hit an issue with lang/perl5 which is a dependency for a number of other packages.

I can build the perl package just fine but the actual installation fails with no reason given. So far, I've tried the -f (force) option to pkg_add but that makes no difference.

I was wondering if anybody else had had issues installing Perl and/or could point me to a way of diagnosing the problem.

Thanks...
JR