Re: devel/git and devel/git-base are confusing

On 15.07.2019 18:49, David Holland wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 03:58:32PM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
>  > git is so widely known software that virtually every person using pkgsrc
>  > knows what it is without consulting DESCR. DESCR is good for learning
>  > some new piece of software.
>
> So is e.g. Python and if you don't read the directions, you don't get
> what you want.

For directions that are important we ship with MESSAGES for a reason.
Putting any directions in DESCR is counter-effective, regardless of what
is our opinion on people who skip studying DESCR in software they build.

>  > The bug is to push into mouth of users gitk, when they ask pkgin to
>  > install git.
>
> I find it boggling that anyone actually cares this much. Git already
> pulls in a ton of stuff even if you only install git-base.

git can survive more or less with a C compiler only. git-base just adds
curl and perl with 5 packages for practical reasons as it's difficult to
live without them. This dependency graph can compete with fossil or cvs.