Re: devel/git and devel/git-base are confusing

Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 10:28:48AM +0000, ng0%n0.is@localhost wrote:
>> devel/git: GIT version control suite (contains the full git)   // or something like that
>
> Those who know git already are unlikely to read DESCR. I don't think that
> can be thought to be such a big mistake.

It is a mistake not to read DESCR, if you are not happy with what
happens, and consider then having to read and uninstall a problem.
DESCR explains the point of the package, and it also explains, often,
which parts are in which package

> Further, for many the git CLI is `full git'. I, for one, did not know
> there exists git beyond CLI. So, you may also elaborate what `full git'
> is, clearly saying go to git-base if you want only git CLI.

It's good you learned about gitk.  I am generally not a fan of the GUI
approach when command-line tools work. But, I find gitk hugely useful
for understanding the state of a git repository, whenever there are more
than a couple of branches in use.

I really don't see how we can arrange things so that a large number of
people with different preconceived notions can guess correctly without
reading the dozen-line files provided to explain things to them.